Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:44

Following the horrific events of May 12, 2008, members of the Hands On Shanghai team have made a commitment to support the long term redevelopment of the areas affected by the earthquake. With many lives lost, houses destroyed, children injured, and communities shaken, we will work with the government agencies and NGOs to bring a long term impact to the communities.

With our strength being volunteer management, our goal will be to recruit, train, and manage volunteers at many levels, to develop community leaders through our volunteer leadership program, engage students and corporations to leverage their capabilities, and work with local NGOs to develop their capacity.

With that, we have established Hands On Chengdu to:

1) Provide a place where volunteers in the affected areas, in cities around China, and around the world can register themselves and provide our NGO partners with a qualified pool of volunteers

2) Advertise and manage the volunteer needs of government agencies and NGOs who are working within various levels of the community to comfort the injured, build schools,

3) Volunteer project scheduling – we will be providing a platform to schedule volunteers in affected cities, townships, and villages.

4) Facilitating financial and product donations to NGOs and government donations in need

5) Provide a forum for announcements and news from affected areas, a place for volunteers to learn about how to help, and provide a discussion forum for NGOs to discuss with each other their needs and how to best service their communities.

In great times of need like this, it is important to understand that the process is not a fast one, and while at time it requires patience, everyone is doing all they can. Hands On personally commends the efforts of those who are currently working in the area, and our thoughts are with the people who lives, families, and communities have been affected by this horrible event.

To learn more about how to volunteer as an individual, corporation, or as a student group, please go here.

If you are an NGO or government agency who needs volunteers (short or long term), please go here

Hands on China offers its deepest condolences to the communities, families, and children who have been affected, and we want you to know that we will be there to support you long term. Hands On, and its volunteers, will make a commitment to do everything we can to assist you rebuild your lives, your schools, and your committees.

At this time, Hands On Chengdu is only accepting applications from NGO and volunteers and will not begin scheduling needs for a minimum of 2 weeks. If you are an unskilled volunteer who wants to go to the site, we highly encourage you not to do so alone or without an invitation from a local government agency or NGO. there are currently many unskilled volunteers in the area that are largely unmanaged and we are being asked by government agencies and NGOs to discourage those who wish to fly into the area without first having an invitation.

17 Responses to “Sichuan Earthquake: How You Can Help – Hands On Chengdu is Recruiting Volunteers”

1. AJ says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 6:40 am

Rick, sorry I haven’t responded to this sooner. Been juggling the new site – no excuse. I’ve popped links to ARLTC and Goog on our home page for relief lists. If there’s anything you need from us, don’t hesitate. Hope you and yours are well.

2. Martin Fuller says:

June 2nd, 2008 at 11:30 pm

Hi
    I am living in Chengdu and currently provide daily care to patients in Huaxi Hospital. Two in particular I am assisting ; one He Chun Tao who lost both her legs ; and Gou Fei who had both lags smashed and an eye that may have to be removed soon.
    I was for a long time in hospital myself with bad legs so have a good way to be with these victims and offer good advise, and long term care and motivation.
    I would like to offer my care to any other amputees that you may know of …

best
    Martin

3. Raymond Scott says:

June 5th, 2008 at 1:39 am

To whom it may concern,

Hi, I am an Australian currently teaching oral English to students at a junior middle school in Jiangsu. I have been teaching here in China for the past three years. During the coming summer holiday I will have time at the last week of June/first week of July, and again during the middle of August. I would like to know if it’s possible to go to Sichuan and teach some classes, or participate in any organised activities as a volunteer? I look forward to your reply. Thanks!!

Yours Sincerely
    Raymond Scott。

4. Ben Chu says:

June 17th, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Hi, my family is willing to do volunteer work in Si chuan for earthquake victims in mid to late July. Please advise the available work and schedule. Thanks.

5. Hari Bahadur Dura says:

July 1st, 2008 at 4:49 am

To whom it may concern;
    Hi, recently i am living in Nanjing, jiansu. Student of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics. I am looking for your co-operation for the volunteering work (teaching english for junior middle school . During this 1months and 20 days holiday i want to volunteer my time on teaching for the needy. I especially like to volunteer in Sichuan for 1month time. If its possible i would like to participate in any organized activities as volunteer?
    I look forward for your replay…
    Wish we can help each other
    Yours sincerely
    Hari Dura

6. Diana Johnson says:

July 6th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Hi,
    First of all, my family and I are not currently in China. However, we did spend 2 years in Nanchong and spent lots of time in ChengDu. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the Chinese and foreigners (and the pandas) in the area affected by this horrible act of nature. We deeply admire those of you who are helping those in need.
    Martin, you are an awesome humanitarian in doing all that you do. We know first hand that you have a heart of gold!!! Give those 2 girls our best wishes and keep doing what you do! XOXO
    Sincerely,
    Diana Johnson, Dr. James Cluphf, and Allie Morris 🙂

7. Marian Rosenberg says:

July 10th, 2008 at 8:42 pm

I’m willing to volunteer my time as a qualified Chinese/English translator and even work at a room and board rate (instead of my usual salary) if there are any relief efforts or companies that need me.

I’m currently in Qingdao on holiday.

I would need to renew my visa in about 8 weeks though.

-M

8. Collin says:

September 8th, 2008 at 7:40 am

Hello,

I am an American living and teaching English in Beijing. I would like to know what kind of volunteer opportunities are available in early October. Thanks.

-Collin

9. Lindsay says:

November 12th, 2008 at 4:04 am

Hi,

I too am an ESL teacher (Canadian) living and teaching in Xi’an. I have holidays coming up in December. I only have about a week available, but since I’m close, I was also wondering if I could help out.

Lindsay

10. Lily says:

January 11th, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a student opportunity for students in high school to help out hands on with earthquake relief efforts during the summer of 2009. Thanks (:

11. w says:

January 13th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Hi, I’d like to do volunteer work as well. I’ll be in Chengdu around 4/5 to 4/11. I’m an American visiting my dad’s hometown of Nanchong for the first time in the first few days of April, and then I’ll be in Chengdu for the remainder of my (short) trip.

12. Michael H says:

February 19th, 2009 at 2:36 am

Hi,

My wife and I would like to do volunteer work in Sichuan for earthquake victims in mid to late Sep. Please advise the available work and schedule. Thanks.

13. Michael H says:

February 19th, 2009 at 2:37 am

Oh, BTW, we are Russian and US and both speak fluent CH (if that helps).

14. Ong Kim Chuan says:

March 6th, 2009 at 8:08 am

We are a group of students from Singapore Nanyang Technological University. We are currently living in Shanghai for Industrial Attachment. We are fluent in both English and Chinese. We can help out in anything. Please advise.

My number: 1312664863

15. S.Cane says:

May 18th, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hi,
    I am a Malaysian Chinese, do u all still need volunteer in sichuan now? I am available from now till middle of June. Thanks

16. cami says:

May 22nd, 2009 at 10:26 am

Hello,
    My name is Camilla, I am currently residing in Hong Kong but originally from Canada. I am wondering if there are still any volunteer positions for either July or August or even for both months.
    English is my Native language, and I speak fluent Cantonese and I have a working knowledge of Mandarin.

17. stephanie says:

July 13th, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Hi, I will be visiting Sichuan next week and am able to come and meet with you to discuss volunteer opporutnities in Novembe/Decemberr. Are there any positions?