The Olympic Impact of Visa Regulations on Sponsors

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:08

When the visa problems all began 6 months ago, the primary target seemed to be teachers, students, long term working tourist, tax evaders, and others who were enjoying the lax enforcement of visa policies.

There were, and continue to be, a lot of legit business men and women who have also been caught up in this as well, and through a few conversations recently I have come to realize that there is now another category of people who have been impacted

Olympic Sponsors

That’s right.. the firms who have spent millions (hundreds of millions) on sponsorships, and who were granted hospitality packages, are actually having trouble ensuring their clients can get the visas they need to enjoy the seats, the gifts, and the games.

For those I have spoken to, not only is this disappointing, it is downright expensive as the clients were being given a full package of hotels, tickets, events, etc and a lot of that money is already spent.

So, for those of you who are gunning for those inside tickets, or perhaps are worried about not getting a hotel room I would just suggest calling up last minute to see what opportunities arise. there are bound to be last minute deals, and depending on who you know, you might just find yourself living the life of a Fortune 500 Board member for a week.

Tags:

6 Responses to “The Olympic Impact of Visa Regulations on Sponsors”

1. Dan says:

July 30th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Great idea. I’ve got the visa, now I just have to start calling my friends at some of the sponsers to see about getting a free room and some choice seats. Do you really think this is doable?

July 30th, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Dan –

I am not myself an approved Olympic Sponsor (I cannot believe BOCOG passed up my application!), nor do I speak for them, but my understanding is that sponsors can decide who they invite… and so, if you got a visa and a good friend within a sponsors, you might have a shot.

3. Chris Devonshire-Ellis says:

July 30th, 2008 at 9:44 pm

I hear grumbles here from international sponsors already here in Beijing that suggest that the IOC may face lawsuits for breach of contract if this issue is not resolved promptly. I would not be surprised to see post-Olympics lawsuits from sponsors requesting damages and refunds.

July 31st, 2008 at 1:12 am

Chris

I have heard the same thing, and when seeing stories about sponsors having their ads washed out… I think they are going to have a decent case (especially the media people who are being locked out of covering the events).

One thing that should be pointed out, is that this is just another eample of people not sully absorbing the reality of China, and what their expectations should be.

Right now I am working on a project where we are hearing “yeah.. you can have that. Let’s just sign the agreement first, and then we will work that out”… for some in the past, they would go hook line and sinker because they really want to believe it is true. fortunately, I have prepped them to take off their “we wanna believe” glasses and understand what this really means…

this topic is worth its own post, but what it comes down to is people believe what they want to believe, and for some/ many, their willingness to believe in things they are told is sometimes dumbfounding.

5. Chris Devonshire-Ellis says:

July 31st, 2008 at 9:50 pm

It’s quite clear that the IOC are not in control of this Olympics, and even clearer they did not have a clue about how to negotiate with the Chinese. BOCOG has completely run rings around them. Expect some senior management changes after this Games at the IOC. Next: A whole plethora of “The real truth behind the 2008 Olympics” books being published from October onwards…

6. ali sarfraz says:

August 3rd, 2008 at 8:54 am

hi i am ali from pakistan i want to see olampics what is the procedure