Shanghai Metro Map 2020… Coool.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:07

For those of you who are interested in maps, love metro systems, and want to see something cool, then click on the map above.

It is a map ( I have seen others that claim to be “the map” and this one has Universal Studios on it) of what Shanghai’s metro system will look like in 2020, at 1000km of track (500~600km by 2010), this subway will reach across the Shanghai Province… with a possible stop in Suzhou!

9 Responses to “Shanghai Metro Map 2020… Coool.”

1. ian channing says:

February 24th, 2009 at 7:25 am

It struck me during my last visit to Shanghai that the whole area between Nanjing, Hangzhou and Shanghai is slowly turning into a Chinese replica of the Kanto or Kansai conurbations in Japan (centered respectively on Tokyo and Osaka)–vast concreted-over regions with dense road, subway, rail and other infrastructure networks, half industrial/commercial and half residential, with pockets of countryside at the fringes. Not very pretty, but prosperous and advanced, and powerful magnets for outlying rural populations. There seems to be a kind of pan-East Asian development model emerging here. I see similar urban growth patterns in Taiwan and South Korea, not to mention the New Territory of HK. It’s also a similarity of East Asian lifestyles–high-rise apartment blocks, high pop. density, long working hours, hard play, fascination with tech., vibrant street life, good basic public order (I reckon Shanghai is as safe as London now) and a more responsible, communal mentality among the people–what used to be called ‘Asian values.’

2. IowaCasino says:

February 24th, 2009 at 10:02 am

Whoa, nice, I hope they could deliver to it

3. Jay Boyle says:

February 24th, 2009 at 11:34 pm

As a daily commuter the last 13 years. Yes line 1 did exist back then, the Shanghai Subway system rocks.

My only critique is they need to start running some express routes the way NYC does.

Jay Boyle

4. Craig says:

February 25th, 2009 at 2:40 am

They just started breaking ground on Ningbo’s first subway line. Six lines is the plan, going all the way from factory town Yuyao to the port of Beilun. Tokyo is indeed the model for a safe, comfortable, well-run system. The irritating part, as usual, is the 11:30pm last train. I have no idea why it is so necessary for trains to stop at night.

5. K says:

February 25th, 2009 at 9:18 am

I think this is one of the things we an say that China does undeniably better than the US. I just think about how painful the process has been to extend the subway in cities like Washington DC. The slow pace of subway expansion has led to some of the worst traffic in the country, and the growth of suburban sprawl. My gut feeling is that public transportation is one of those long-term-short-term trade-offs that democracies don’t handle particularly well. What China has been able to show, is that building for the long-term doesn’t mean 20 years in the future. How many lines will be ready by the expo in 2010? 12? I hope that at least part of that stimulus package will be earmarked for rationalizing America’s urban transportation infrastructure.

February 27th, 2009 at 8:41 am

@ Jay – expres trains would be great.. not sure if current system could support though (you don’t see dual tracks in the tube).

@ Craig – 6 lines is a great start! what I don’t understand about shutting off the metro is simply why is cannot offer limited service on major lines so that at least traversing the city is possible… pudong to puxi… roppongi to yokohama.

@ Kevin – last count I heard was 15 lines with 1000km, and that is from vice planning commissioner. will be 2020 before the lines are complete, but by 2010 the goal is 500km of serviceable lines inside the outer ring road.

7. Flüge Australien says:

May 18th, 2009 at 4:56 am

This really is cool. I guess there won’t be many places in Shanghai which you can’t reach via metro then. I guess it also runs every 5 or 10 min or so?

8. Pav says:

June 6th, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I must agree with what Craig is stating. Shanghai officials need to wake up to the fact that it should consider people who have events that last longer than 10:00 PM. Why can the metro not stay running until at least 1:00AM. Shutting Line 2 and 3 at last train at 10:00pm is ridiculous Of course these officials all have cars and drivers so they just don’t care.

9. Vivi says:

December 17th, 2009 at 12:19 am

One major error, train to Nanjing is from Shanghai Railway Station, not Shanghai South Railway Station. And train to Hangzhou is from Shanghai South Railway Station, not Shanghai Railway Station.

The main reason for people to take the metro is to commute, not to attend a party. And the main reason for the metro to operate is to ease the traffic. I’ve taken an extra train after a concert is over. But I just won’t believe that the metro will be running until 1a.m. for hangover guys. No offense! It’s just night life is not welcomed by Chinese society.

Line 7, which just been used this month, its operation time is 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Do you know how does those people near line 7 feel about it?