Websites: Online Tools for Chinese Language

Saturday, January 20, 2007 2:07
Posted in category The Big Picture

Learning the Chinese language has never been so important, and the numbers of people learning the language are skyrocketing.

For those that do ont have time to attend a formal program though, it can be a difficult task to say the least. Even the most disciplined persons will have a hard time getting through a text book without the assistance of a teacher, and turing that material into something useful is even more difficult unless backed up with practice.

As such, we devote this week’s post to websites that will bring students of Chinese to a new level in terms of ability to practice reading, listening, and speaking the Chinese language.

1) Chinesepod.com
Tired of boring tapes that teach you how to say you and your brother went to the market to buy shoes? check out Chinese pod to download up to date and relevant lessons.

Learn how to negotiate in chinese, ask for things, find your way home, and pick up a few choice words for the cabbies.

2) Mandarin Tools
For those that are looking to learn about characters, or are just in need of an online dictionary, I highly suggest this site.

It is very easy to navigate, and the site is supported by sound for those who want to learn how to pronounce specific characters and/ or words.

3) i Talk i:
While Chinesepod is an excellent resource for listening to listening to the Chinese language, and Mandarin Tools can help you look up nearly any character, none of that matters if you cannot say anything.

For many, finding a study partner locally can be difficult, and if you are a busy executive you do not really have the time to.

that is why the i Talk i tool is going to be so popular.

Brought to market by a friend in Shanghai, this tool facilitates global language exchange over the internet. It is pens pals meets Skype where participants meet online and go back and forth using the languages they are looking to learn.

If you have other online tools that you feel are better, or a review of one of the above, we hope you will share your comments.

28 Responses to “Websites: Online Tools for Chinese Language”

1. Matt says:

January 22nd, 2007 at 6:45 pm

Excellent tools. I have been using chinesepod on my ipod.

2. rbrubaker says:

January 23rd, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Matt, I am sure that Chinesepod are happy to hear that. I used to download a lot as they have so much content that your teacher never taught.

for users of Palm products, I highly suggest that you download Pleco’s dictionary. It is by far the best Palm based dictionary. http://www.pleco.com

3. Victor T says:

January 24th, 2007 at 2:56 am

I totally agree. I am in love with the pleco dictionary. I can\’t imagine a day of not being able to use that. Genuinely the best purchase I have ever made in studying Chinese.

Another really good tool is wenlin. It\’s good for copying entire Chinese texts into a window that I can use my mouse to hover over and read.

Another cool site is: newsinchinese.com.
    It\’s a good way to start reading the newspaper. It is based on a website called Adsotrans. The site downloads Xinhua newsfeeds and allows you to read them by hovering your mouse over the characters.

But beyond that, I think if you\’re really looking to learn (especially how to speak) — you have to practice with a Chinese person. I know my Chinese would be much better if I had had language exchange services like italki.com when I was back in college studying Chinese.

4. Ronald says:

January 25th, 2007 at 9:15 am

Thanks for these great resources. I’m familiar with ChinesePod and Mandarin Tools but this italki.com site is really new. I just checked and there are over 25K members – most of whom are Chinese.

Thanks for the tip.

5. I learn Chinese says:

February 1st, 2007 at 4:53 pm

Hi,
    I learn Mandarin in Beijing. It’s been five months now that I’m learning this beautiful language. It’s true that Chinese is hard but learning it won’t be that hard if you have the right learning tools and resources. As far as I’m concerned, I use this useful Chinese English dictionary and when I’m stuck, I just post my questions to this Chinese learning forum. I also learn Chinese writing online. I hope these learning Chinese tools would help you learn Chinese quickly and smartly. Thank you 😉

6. Learn Chinese says:

February 3rd, 2007 at 11:19 am

On Chinese-Tools.com you also have a lot of unique resources just as a Chinese dictionary, Writing chinese characters lessons, and annotated texts (Chinese songs, poetry, etc…)
    See you then!

7. Oki says:

February 27th, 2007 at 3:20 am

Also check:
    Zhongwen for accessing different dictionaries and reading the Analects online. One a day to surprise your co-workers.

8. rbrubaker says:

February 27th, 2007 at 8:25 pm

here is a message I received that I thought might be useful to this discussion.

Dear webmaster, I’m writing to you to recommend a good language exchange and pen pals find community http://www.lehere.comh, Thank you for taking the time to read this message. lehere.com is aim to allow people to learn and practice another language by connecting with REAL native people, all over the world. In fact the aim we learn a language is to communicate with each other.

Lehere.com is such a language exchange community, people can find their pen pals, language exchange partners, friendship, love and relationship, and know different culture, even find business partner. The members are form over 100 countries, and practise more than 115 languages. should you be kind to exchange link with us, please visit us the link exchange

webpage:http://www.lehere.com/flink/link_regb.asp

Thank you so.
    Best regards Mary1999

Lehere team

9. Simon Laing says:

March 4th, 2007 at 1:28 am

Hi Cool Internet Blog,

I think the italki site is decent in putting people together. But sometimes with language partners I even in China I felt as though most of the time we were speaking in English. If you’re pressed for time and don’t mind paying a little for tutoring. http://www.chinesetutor.net is a good site for Tutoring. The tutors are skilled language graduates with English and Chinese skills. The price is low due to the RMB disparity. The tutors use Skype or MSN to conduct class and use textbooks most of the time. The is also a free 20 minutes trial class available. There are also some video sites that look good.

Pretty cool but not so good on pinyin, and speaking,, with video skits.

Good on listening and breaking down the grammar

And MSU video

I still think having a live teacher is the best because they can adapt the teaching style to your requirements. But you should should check them out. Can anyone find an advanced online website or is reading newspapers the best that it gets.

Have fun,
    Simon Laing

10. braincess says:

May 23rd, 2007 at 11:29 pm

Found interesting website Babbley.com, tons of Chinese
    I just registered on Babbley.com language exchange site. I’m trying to learn Chinese, so I found tons of Chinese language exchange partners quickly on it.

11. Mandarin says:

June 11th, 2007 at 1:52 am

How to Choose Qualified Chinese Teacher?

For different requirements and purposes, you need to select different courses and teachers. Not every Chinese person who can speak Chinese is qualified to work as a Chinese Language Teacher. Generally a qualified Chinese teacher needs to study at least one course of Teaching Chinese as Second Language Certificate. Of course, a teacher with more teaching experience is better.

1, Teacher of Reading and Writing Courses:
    Degree: Above Bachelor Degree of Chinese Literature, Teaching Chinese as Second Language or Foreign…

Go to Read whole article

Sourced by I Love Chinese on Hello! Mandarin

12. Mandarin says:

June 11th, 2007 at 1:53 am

I also learn Chinese now in Beijing. I use Voice Connecting China often to practice Chinese with volunteers.

13. darren taylor says:

June 11th, 2007 at 9:18 pm

The most helpful site i know for translating mandarin is dict.cn

14. Learn Chinese says:

June 12th, 2007 at 2:39 am

One of the most comprehensive website to learn chinese is Chinese-Tools.com, with audio Mandarin lessons, Chinese dictionary, Chinese annotation tools and many more…

The “China Club” is also a good place to meet friends and talk on the forum!

A nice online Chinese Dictionary:

Enjoy!

15. Learn Chinese Online says:

June 15th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

How to Type Chinese Characters on Computer by Pinyin

Yes, I agree with you. Typing is really good idea to learn Chinese. There is a courseware about Courseware about How to Type Chinese Characters.
    You can download on http://www.hellomandarin.com/ilovechinese/characters/20060620-05.html

Sourced by I Love Chinese on Hello! Mandarin

16. Learn Chinese Mandarin says:

June 15th, 2007 at 9:07 pm

Origin of the Chinese Script
    Associative compounds
    The principle of forming characters by drawing pictures is easy to understand, but pictographs cannot express abstract ideas. So the ancients invented the “associative compounds,” i. e., characters formed by combining two or more elements, each with a meaning of its own, to express new ideas. Thus, the sun and the moon written …

Go to Read whole article

Sourced by I Love Chinese on Hello! Mandarin

17. Pop English says:

June 20th, 2007 at 1:55 am

Get 3 friends to successfully join Babbley.com in June, and you are automatically entered into the lucky draw to win a enjoy china membership , which is valued at RMB 299. As an enjoy china member, you receive the benefits of the enjoy card ( China’s Premiere VIP privilege card, offering 10-50% discounts and privileged service every day at hundreds of the top spots in town.) and enjoy vouchers ( 2-for-1 Deals, Free Drinks & Dishes, Bonus Spa & Beauty services, & discounts on Shopping, Home Decor, Movies, Magazines and more��) over 200 coupons worth 50,000 RMB in discounts!!!

18. How Critical is Being Able to Speak Chinese? Ask Richard Ong | All Roads Lead To China says:

July 18th, 2007 at 3:35 am

[…] more on learning Chinese, visit our post Websites: Online Tools for Chinese Language Bookmark to: Stumble […]

19. Learn Chinese says:

July 19th, 2007 at 9:11 pm

Try to use a Chinese Pronunciation Dictionary on Learn Chinese site ( http://www.learnmandarinonline.org ). It can help you to pronounce a Chinese word or Chinese sentence.

20. tzs says:

July 20th, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Heads up–there will be a version of James Heisig’s “Remembering the Kanji” out for Chinese sometime very soon. I’m planning to get it to fill out my character knowledge. I recommend his techniques highly if you want to get characters into your brain in a short period of time. You will know how to write them as well as read them (which can really freak out people.)

I used the original volumes for learning Japanese and learned over 2000 characters in my spare time in 6 months. Unfortunately, the Chinese characters used in Japan are used in slightly different ways than in Chinese, so I always have to keep that in mind. (And the pronunciations are usually different)

21. How Critical is Being Able to Speak Chinese? Ask Richard Ong | Top China Suppliers says:

July 21st, 2007 at 4:54 am

[…] more on learning Chinese, visit our post Websites: Online Tools for Chinese Language Bookmark […]

22. Pauls says:

July 23rd, 2007 at 8:12 pm

I have been using a Chinese language learning platform from Taiwan called World Learner Chinese and have found that I’ve been able to retain a lot more from their v-classes. They have live Chinese classes that are attended by students all over the world at the same time. It looks like they were first a regular Chinese school that has move to the Internet. This is reall Web 2.0.

23. Kika Bisogno says:

August 31st, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I would like to share with you a small application I developed to help me with the Chinese language pronunciation. I called it Pinyin Talker since it converts Hanyu Pinyin into spoken Chinese. It is not intended to simulate natural speech but it is a great tool that can help you learn the proper pronunciation of words or short phrases.
    I hope you all have the chance to come around and check it out at http://www.pinyin.clever-industries.com

24. Jon Bischke says:

January 5th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I tried learning Mandarin in business school. Not easy. One of the things though that I’ve been introduced to lately is the power of online private tutoring. Super convenient, a lot cheaper than finding someone here in LA and basically the same experience as doing a session live. We’re about to launch a platform for live online language learning. In the meantime, check out our blog with hundreds of free articles, podcasts and videos to help learn Mandarin and other languages.

25. Chris Boyd says:

January 6th, 2008 at 3:44 am

It’s sad to see how these morons use every blog post that mentions the word ‘Mandarin’ to spam the comments sections with their ads. Chinese tools are the worst, but now you have clearchinese, chinese tutor, hello mandarin and the rest. It’s a disgrace, but there’s no stopping them.

26. tommy says:

February 1st, 2008 at 8:24 am

Hi, I am a chinese living in chengdu, I am willing to find a language parter whose native language is English, and I will try my best to help you with your mandarin. So, if you have interest in learning Chinese and make friends with Chinese people, I will be delighted if you can contact me.
    My e-mail is [email protected], and also you can contact with me through gtalk. Wish your reply.

27. Wesley says:

September 23rd, 2008 at 12:32 am

I think the http://www.studiochinese.com is the best website I have used before to learn chinese.

28. voice of Chinese says:

April 13th, 2009 at 12:38 am

for learning Chinese culture and Chinese language, here is another website will help you . stop by vochinese.com.