Yahoo Blocked?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:06

so.. I cannot access yahoo in China anymore.

Neither can several friends.

Did someone forget to pay the power bill, or has Yahoo become a victim (like Flikr and Typepad) of the GFW?

14 Responses to “Yahoo Blocked?”

1. University Update - Yahoo - Yahoo Blocked? says:

June 27th, 2007 at 7:59 am

[…] Link to Article yahoo Yahoo Blocked? » Posted at All Roads Lead to China on Wednesday, June […]

2. University Update - Google - Yahoo Blocked? says:

June 27th, 2007 at 8:01 am

[…] Link to Article google Yahoo Blocked? » Posted at All Roads Lead to China on Wednesday, June […]

3. Shenzhenboy says:

June 27th, 2007 at 9:51 am

Yahoo is down here in Shenzhen also. The only exception is Yahoo’s China site cn.yahoo.com. All other servers ending in yahoo.com are unavailable including Yahoo Finance. Total pain.

Looks like Yahoo will have to have a multiple IP dynamic switching system like Google. If they can’t do it, they are toast in China.

4. GoingNuts says:

June 27th, 2007 at 10:21 am

If this persists, it’s going to kill my business which is run out of a Yahoo Mail Business account. Let’s hope it doesn’t last…

5. Alan says:

June 27th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

No yahoo in Zhenjiang for about 18 hours
    I use yahoo mail to keep contact with family in Australia so very frustrating!

6. BB says:

June 27th, 2007 at 3:08 pm

You mean “again”. They’ve done it before and also for reasons unknown (or plain inane).

7. Shanghaivictem says:

June 27th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Down in Shanghai, but I have Yahoo small business: still no website access, i appear stuck on recieving the same email of 9:47pm Wednesday night, over and over, interestingly my mail is still going out (just not in). Curious if anybody has found a way to web email, through Japan?

12 years ago, i’d have to use dial up to Hong kong to get my mail, if anybody in a terrible pinch, that’s should still work if somebody will loan you their dailup to get on line.

8. AMB says:

June 27th, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Yahoo is Blocked in Shanghai too. Plus, the whole Flickr site, and not only the pictures as before, seems to be blocked now ( Flickr belongs to Yahoo).

FUCK the Olimpic Games!

9. The Editors’ Journal » Blog Archive » Yahoo “purified”? says:

June 27th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

[…] crawl through Google Blogsearch (since Technorati’s been blocked too) revealed this post, published 12 hours ago, also saying that Yahoo.com access had been stopped. A comment on the […]

10. daxi says:

September 25th, 2007 at 10:50 pm

heads up. seem to be having multiple re-logins today to the IM service. Happening again? Any lessons from last time?

Simon near Shanghai

September 25th, 2007 at 11:04 pm

My Yahoo has been on fritz for last few days and now I am having Skype issues too….. anyone else?

12. China block says:

November 10th, 2007 at 5:01 am

China blocking VOIP technology is to protect its local telecom industry. This also infringes on people’s rights, especially non- China citizens who are in China. It’s all about money and benefit. So why not the US not allow companies such as Baidu on the US stock exchange. Or place certain limitations. However, there is one annoying thing about the Ebay company which is Paypal.com. Paypal acts very communist when it comes to running their business. They do in fact block and freeze many overseas accounts for the reason of IP addresses. Especially for users in China and Hong Kong, they will often freeze accounts. In fact, Paypal was sued and lost millions due to freezing people’s accounts in the USA in 2004. Now, because they are doing business internationally, Paypal is now abusing their rights in other countries because it is hard to sue internationally and the victims of Paypal’s account limitations will have a more difficult time suing them.

November 12th, 2007 at 10:44 pm

China Block.

While I feel your pain, I cannot say anyone has a right to free telecom.. after all, someone has to lay the cables. Do I believe that the market should be moving towards open source at cheap prices… Oh yeah, but given the fact China mobile is 100x better than AT&T in terms of service coverage and cost, I am not complaining.

Interesting about Paypal. I once had a collegue at my first job who got blocked.. but I just figured it was because he was shady.

14. SFM says:

March 18th, 2008 at 4:19 am

Yahoo seems to be blocked again – a fallout from the recent unrest in ????