Why Lou Dobbs Scares Me More Than Chinese Toothpaste

Saturday, July 14, 2007 18:53

For the past several weeks, China has been the punching bag of international supply chain management.

The underlying problems are very serious ones as a number of people and animals have become sick and even died as a result of using goods that have been manufactured in China.

There are dozens of news reports in the press (print, cyber, TV, and other) that look to judge China itself rather than explore the role of business , and this clip is a perfect example of that

[youtube width=”425″ height=”335″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HhxJhQaOsQ[/youtube]

Why reports like this have me scared more than using a tube of Chinese toothpaste is simple… they make no attempt to highlight the critical issues that underly the problem and in the end, the problems are not solved

Lou Dobbs, and others like him do not understand the fundamental reasons of where the breakdowns occured, nor does it appear they want to. They are only concerned with finding new ways to inflame the public into believing that products Made in China are bad.

• They spend no time educating the public of the role American importers played in distributing thee products
  • They spend no time educating the public of the real difficulties of supply chain management or the responsibility of various parties within the supply chain to ensure quality

In my mind, reports like this offer no solutions to the problem, and only make the problem worse as these reports create more misinformation of what the core problems and fear of anything made in China.

Which wil only result in more blog posts like this, stories like this, and tit-for-tat trade disputes like this.

6 Responses to “Why Lou Dobbs Scares Me More Than Chinese Toothpaste”

1. University Update - Yahoo - Why Lou Dobbs Scares Me More Than Chinese Toothpaste says:

July 14th, 2007 at 7:52 pm

[…] Link to Article yahoo Why Lou Dobbs Scares Me More Than Chinese Toothpaste » Posted at All […]

July 15th, 2007 at 4:21 am

Following this post, I was forwarded the below link by a friend here in Shanghai, and it is another perfect example of how many are looking to mislead the readers.

At the website Who Suck, there is a post called Dangerous Made-In-China Products: 2007 Timeline where the author has researched product recalls in 2007 and then picked out those that originated in China.

58 products…

Why this is misleading is that it is only after listing out the product and a highline on the recall does he put in what is the most important piece of informaiton

[Note: Most products on recall lists we checked were American companies’ products manufactured in China, but we have chosen to mention only the incidents that seem most likely connected to problems on the Chinese side, such as dangerous/faulty materials being used in production.]

3. HELEN says:

July 21st, 2007 at 4:35 pm

IF YOU THINK THAT WE BELIEVE THAT LOU DOBBS IS A LIAR, THEN YOU NEED TO STOP. WHAT HE IS SAYING IS ONLY BRINGING TO THE ATTENTION OF WHATS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS. SOME OF US HAVE BEEN TO CHINA AND SEEN FOR OURSELVES WHAT KIND OF FILTHY CONDITIONS PRODUCTS ARE BEING MADE IN AND HOW THE WORKERS ARE TREATED. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU. OUR COUNTRY IS BEING LIED TO AND IT ISN’T LOU DOBBS THATS DOING THE LYING.

4. amber james says:

July 21st, 2007 at 8:26 pm

I started watching Lou Dobbs about 2 years ago and can honestly say he is the reason I have cable. He galvanized me into action on a host of issues. I re-registered as an Independent. Sean Hannity and Bill O Rielly are nothing more than Bush bots..I hate it when people lump Lou into the same category as those brown nosers. I used to subscribe to the New York times but after the way that rag has gone after Lou I would not used it to line my bird’s cage. I think he is one of the most powerful men in America and a true hero to every day working Americans. I just love the guy and encourage everyone I know to listen to his broadcast.

July 21st, 2007 at 9:23 pm

@ Helen & Amber –

@ Helen

I did not call Lou Dobbs a liar, and I do not deny the conditions here in China. However, Lou Dobbs is not providing the whole truth.either.

He does not mention the fact that the majority of products are being made in factories owned and operated by foreign companies (i.e. not the Chinese), and that many of the recent issues could have been prevented had the American companies who were buying the products acted responsibly (FTS put tires on the streets for 2 years that they though were missing the “critical” safety feature.

This is an issue that had multiple parties who are responsible, and Lou is only focused on China. That is not lying… but it is not telling the truth either.

@ Amber

No doubt Lou is a powerful guy, and that is why it is all the more important for him to look at the issues with a balanced perspective. It is something that I have yet to see from many news outlets, and I chose Lou only because he was on Youtube.

6. valzy says:

April 3rd, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Lou Dobbs and most other sensationalist news anchors, on all news networks only say what will sell. He is a anti-communist, anti-hispanic, intolerant, ignorant, one-sided, dogmatic hate breeder who has his mind deep in the cold war era. It is time to quit “taking sides” as he says and start cooperating and quit acting like China is our enemy. Of course there is illegal spying going on, we do it too, of course there are illegal trades, we do it too (Iran Contra anyone?). Please people, don’t believe everything Dobbs says, because he hardly ever gets his facts straight, nor does he ever give the actual other side to the story.