iPhone: Made In Shenzhen, Assembled by Foxconn

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:39

the iPhone is quite simply the reason I believed in Apple as a company 18 months ago when I bought shares. As I have mentioned on a number of occasions, it is its telecommunicationally challenged brother the iPod that has been a form of rechargeable sanity for most of my time in China… and that is why when I saw a few posts on the iPhone supply chain I had to write this post.

Beginning with the recent Foxconn article in the WSJ, and my resulting post, I then stumbled upon Spendmatters’s Apple’s iPod Supply Chain post, which lead me to TEXYT’s article iPhone: Who’s the Real Manufacturer, which then took me the to Shumla’s post entitled The Apple iPhone Supply Chain, source of this diagram

iPhone supply chain

What makes these posts so interesting, is that the not only detail the various products that go into the iPhone (hint: component manufacturer stocks are going up too), it shows just how many steps there are in the process.

Software and design Apple USA
Camera lens Largan Precision Taiwan
Camera module Altus-Tech, Primax, Lite On Taiwan
Battery Charger Delta Electronics Taiwan
Timing Crystal TXC Taiwan
Passive components Cyntec Taiwan
Connector and cables Cheng Uei, Entery Taiwan

What I found most interesting was how far Foxconn reached into the Supply chain. Not only do they supply a number of the critical components, but they are also the final assembler.

That’s right… the iPhone is Made in China .. Shenzhen to be exact

To bad I will have to wait another year to get one..

21 Responses to “iPhone: Made In Shenzhen, Assembled by Foxconn”

1. pearrr says:

August 22nd, 2007 at 3:00 am

yea man. the new international division of labour!

2. Eric says:

August 28th, 2007 at 8:34 am

Hi!How would one know if an iPhone is fake. I recently bought an iPhone from a friend who bought it from China. I wonder if this is original as I noticed that the soft ware from what I see in the internet is different from what I have in the phone. Help please.

August 28th, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Eric,

I hate to break it to you, … it’s fake.

To date, the only real fullly functioning iPhones are only for sale as part of the AT&T network – Doesn’t Steve know that the China market is bigger than the U.S. market?

There are people here in town who bought them in the U.S. and brought them over, but they are nothing more than iPods as they are not on the AT&T network.

4. David says:

September 2nd, 2007 at 8:08 am

When I was in China, I noticed many high quality fakes that some people said were extra production that went out the back door of the factory. So those were fakes with a difference, unauthorized additional production that violates the rights of the designer. Perhaps we will see that for iphones too.

September 3rd, 2007 at 5:10 am

David,

I would be shocked if there were some off the truck iPhones. If true, it would show that Apple’s suppliers are either shipping extra components that are not being kept track of, or that Foxconn is cooking the books.

What would be interesting though is if someone were able to take one off the AT&T network somehow so that a China based SIM card would be allowed to operate. Fake or Not, that would command a price in the market worth more than the iPhone itself

6. Fabian says:

September 10th, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Yeah, and the fake Louis Vitton purses are extra stock going out the back door too! Sucker are born every day. There is never anything even remotely close to the products that claim to be “extra production” and the real thing. P.T. Barnum was right, and Gordon Gecko has convinced people that greed is good. That’s why people lose $200 on bullcrap like that.

7. Brad says:

October 11th, 2007 at 10:44 am

Why are you waiting another year to get one?

8. admani says:

December 21st, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Hi!

In the case of purses and textiles its totally possible as they always have excess production you can get it way cheaper and it will be authentic

9. Munchkin says:

January 15th, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Friend of mine bought iphone from USA and he is using it in Saudi Arabia … he manage to hack/crack the software… is it this much easier for the mobile tech’s that they can crack or open the software to work with any network…?

10. peter says:

April 10th, 2008 at 3:49 am

lol not at all…..its true that china make fake iphone butis doesnt meaning that all iphone came from china is fake^^
    for information please2 chek this web for pic. comparison:

this one will show that two diffrent phone i hope you guys can understand that they have 2 type of iphone:
    1. a real iphone but only assembly in china
    2. a fake iphone/copy iphone and made in china as well

11. peter says:

April 10th, 2008 at 3:57 am

oke guys that is a fake phone like i was said before but now i talk about a CLONE…………….shit them all who just copy/clone and make it fake oke there is the pic of CLONE iphone.

in that pic. only the middle button who make it diffrent from real iphone(do you know the real iphone only have one big button in the screen)

please asking free to me about real iphone, i will answer^^

12. Scot Richards says:

June 12th, 2008 at 1:14 am

Hi Suckers,

Yes, there are a ton of REAL iphones here in China. And guess what. You don’t need Steve Jobs permission to call your mother. But that’s not the real story. I just picked up a ‘lookalike’ that has dual-sims. The phone sort of looks like an iphone but has lots of features that Steve doesn’t allow his acolytes and sycophants to know about. Keep paying the money suckers. Help make Steve rich again (or is it Bill Gates who owns Apple now, I forget…)

13. A third of China’s emissions come from exports | Go Green Park says:

August 6th, 2008 at 1:01 am

[…] That’s right, 1.7B tonnes of carbon — equivalent to the emissions of France, Germany, and the UK combined — is spewed into the atmosphere by China so that the developed world can keep the price of their goods low. And, as we all know, it’s not just a bunch of accessories that China is producing these days. Much of the pollution is driven by the manufacture of “advanced electronics” — like the iPhone. […]

14. Relax, there’s an army of cuties making your iPhone 3G as we speak… says:

August 21st, 2008 at 12:14 am

[…] iPhone: Made In Shenzhen, Assembled by Foxconn | All Roads Lead To China via kwout addthis_url = ‘http%3A%2F%2Fpeijinchen.com%2Fblog%2F2008%2F08%2F21%2Frelax-theres-an-army-of-cuties-making-your-iphone-3g-as-we-speak%2F’; addthis_title = ‘Relax%2C+there%26%238217%3Bs+an+army+of+cuties+making+your+iPhone+3G+as+we+speak%26%238230%3B’; addthis_pub = ”; […]

15. Evan says:

September 12th, 2008 at 4:43 am

Peter,
    I checked out the pics of the real and fake iPhone abd it was the different button, but does it really matter if it is fake, it will still work alright?

I actually prefer the fake ones look. I am buying one in 2 weeks so I want to know if it matters?

16. Bill says:

June 16th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I was at a loss when I learn that the iPhone I bought for my daughter, at full price mind, you was being shipped out of China. Again the American worker is snubbed, and AT&T and Apple line their pockets. China is also making the clones everyone here is talking about. So not only is Apple snubbing the American worker, the Chinese are snubbing Apple in the ripping off of their product. Those at Apple just look the other way. This is China’s reward for ripping off CD’s, electronics…you name it from us…more work from the U.S.

Apple should be ashamed of itself.

17. rich says:

June 17th, 2009 at 8:32 am

Never mind those who copy or ‘rip’ the design of the iPhone. As long as they do not copy the iPhone’s interface I guess its already very good. ‘Clones’ cannot be called clones unless they are and work exactly the same with everything, from syncing your genuine iPhone to iTunes and such.

Anyway, everything (almost) in the world is made in China. We can’t escape that. But the difference lies in the software. I have tried the fake clones before, and the interface wasn’t as smooth, good or simple as what Apple does.

18. jack says:

July 10th, 2009 at 10:49 am

ROC Taiwan is not “China” the PRC is “China” so its actually made in Taiwan where people do not get run over by tanks!!!

19. grubby says:

July 11th, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Genuine iPhones, purchased in the US, can be used here with a China Mobile or China Unicom card !
    The user must first install so-easy-to-obtain software.
    The iPhone then works perfectly, with one exception: WiFi.
    The national security agency doesn’t like this at all – as users up-to-no-good can remain anonymous.
    But – and I have this on very good authority – even WiFi kicks into gear over a latte in Starbucks ! Many of you may know this – please forgive me, I’m a cellphone tech dummy!
    The enthusiastic Chinese consumer worked it all out within days of the iPhone’s US launch.
    Since then, the most common request to friends visiting America on business or pleasure is, “bring me back TWO iPhones” !
    Sure, there are dodgy knock-offs around the PRC.
    Some folk just want one to “look cool” – like having a dodgy Rolex that can’t keep the time.
    But the iPhones that I’ve come across – and there have been plenty – are all genuine articles!
    For the record, I have a Nokia N73, courtesy of China Mobile.
    xie xie

20. aamirguru says:

August 22nd, 2009 at 1:54 pm

hi i live in pakistan next door to china ..our markets r full of chines products camras computer parts shoes and mobiles they r cheap .. so i think for poor country like us its good to get things cheap .. i just bought i phone made in china ..friend of mine just came from usa.. and she could not see the difference in both…she got real one in price of 900 $ ..guess what i got mine for 50$.. its bit slow ..but i could not dream of getting the real one ..so who cares if its fake ..it works fine ..thats good for me i love it …

21. Leon says:

September 3rd, 2011 at 2:09 am

Why let china build it? They’re only making it works worse and worse! Low labor cost means low quality!
    Finishing is the most effective part of a product!
    We want it assembled in Japan!