CEA Challenges Lou Dobbs to a Duel

Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:16

Why Lou Dobbs Scares Me More Than Chinese Toothpaste was a post I wrote early on in the days of “Made In China”. My position was that while there were certainly problems in the supply chain, Lou Dobbs (and other like him) were actually far worse because of their predatory reporting. Far from being balanced, Lou Dobbs always feels the need to remind viewers that China is a communist country, and does little himself to bring on balanced panels or perspective.

Well… it appears that someone else (more powerful than I) has also grown tired of Lou and his “communist China” angle.

According to a press release dated October 17, Gary Shapiro (CEO of the Consumer Electornics Association) has:

issued a direct challenge to Dobbs to present his viewers with a balanced view of international trade. “I am prepared to debate Lou Dobbs live on his CNN show,” Shapiro said. “His anti-trade comments on his cable show and his refusal to grant equal time to opposing viewpoints are inconsistent with CNN’s great legacy as a pioneering news network. We are hopeful that CNN will wish to retain its credibility and allow equal time for pro-free trade viewpoints.

also included in the release were some stats from a Zogby study (I am looking for study) that I found very interesting:

In an October 2007 poll of more than 10,000 Americans conducted by Zogby International for CEA:

• Seventy-eight percent believe a television news anchor who speaks out against international trade while his network promotes his program overseas and garners foreign advertising revenue can be labeled a “hypocrite”; and
  • Among those who had an opinion, a 2:1 ratio of respondents say criticizing international trade sends the wrong message that the U.S isn’t good enough to compete globally, and that it fears foreign competition.

Will Lou rise to the challenge.. or will he hide behind his own great firewall?

7 Responses to “CEA Challenges Lou Dobbs to a Duel”

1. Falen says:

October 20th, 2007 at 7:42 am

Lou Dobb is the reason why I watch Chris Matthew instead whenever 7pm rolls around. I love his fake town hall-style meeting in what is suppose to be a “discussion” is really just him talking and audience clapping.

2. Romain Guerel (French working in Beijing) says:

October 21st, 2007 at 11:32 pm

What annoys me the most when I see Lou Dobbs on CNN is that millions of people in the US believe in what he says and when they come to China they see it is very different. Unfortunately, there is far less people coming to China than people watching Lou Dobbs everyday.

October 22nd, 2007 at 12:25 am

Romain,

What amazes me is that American viewers are still willing to believe these guys. It is so clear that they are using fear in place of facts.

4. Jay Boyle says:

October 24th, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Lou Dobbs and his ilk are a reoccurring theme throughout history anytime an economy gets in trouble or people start to loose power they need to blame someone else for their troubles.

History’s most notorious fear monger was Hitler.

Jay

October 24th, 2007 at 10:24 pm

What I always find funny about Lou is that in 2000 following the dot bomb, it was he who said that companies needed to look at outsourcing to save the bottom line.

I am not saying he knew what was coming, but he has done very well at playing both sides and riding popular opinion.

6. Mark says:

April 1st, 2008 at 4:32 pm

How many times can Lou Dobbs say “Communist China” in 30 seconds? I think he’s going for the record…

April 2nd, 2008 at 5:39 am

Mark,

Perhaps he should just flash it at the bottom of the screen for good measure.

r