Where Your Toys are Made.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 20:48

Just stumbled on a interesting collection of pictures on maZm (via China Digital Times) of men and women working in a toy painting factory. In total, there are 25 shots (I have a couple here).

As I said before, the average consumer is too disconnected from this process, and I hope readers will pass this around. There are no stone face killers in these pictures, just some shots of your average Mr. and Ms. Zhou (pronounced Joe) hard at work.

5 Responses to “Where Your Toys are Made.”

1. Denise says:

October 22nd, 2007 at 4:24 am

Great comment & pics. Glad to see someone has the guts to put these out there.

October 22nd, 2007 at 4:40 am

Denise,

These pictures are fantastic, and all statements aside, I think people need to see who is behind their toys. I think the real guts were of the factory owner and factory workers as they are clearly putting themselves out there

3. Romain Guerel (French working in Beijing) says:

October 22nd, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Rich,

Amazing photos! What worries me are the comments made by the bloggers. They just see the world in black & white. Hard to swallow when you have been here for 11 years.

4. AZZE says:

October 22nd, 2007 at 8:20 pm

These recalls are getting out of hand. I’m afraid that this is only the beginning and we’re going to see alot more as we get into the Christmas time. I now go to http://www.leadtoyrecalls.com every day to make sure I have the latest news.

It’s also got guidelines for toy safety, a list of safe toys, and how to dispose of unsafe toys.

October 22nd, 2007 at 8:56 pm

@ Romain. totally agree with you on the comments. The majority of people are so far removed from the processes that they fail to understand the basic concepts of manufacturing, and just how few products on a percentage basis have entered the system.

@AZZE. These recalls are not out of hand, but come hand in hand with producing 800 million toys (that is just Mattel). I know there is a lot of fear mongering right now, but these recalls to date really are (1) statistical anomalies and (2) the result of lack oversight on the part of buyers.

Were I a parent, I too would be weary and would want to have as much information as I could have about the toys I am buying for my child… but that is not because of a couple recalls. That is just something everyone should be doing anyway.