If You Hold an F Visa. PAY ATTENTION

Friday, March 7, 2008 22:26

A few weeks ago, I wrote the post Notice: Chinese F Visas Cannot Be Renewed Past Olympics, and apparently I was wrong.

Over the last 10 days or so, I have been fielding emails, Skypes, and phone calls from friends and readers about the pain in the butt that has become their extension process… and apparently the news is BAD.

In a couple of cases, U.S. citizens were told they would have to pay 2300 RMB for a 3 month visa (same price as a usual 1 year).  A 1 year visa.. a whopping 14000RMB!

As for who to call.  don’t bother with emoo.  they will not even help U.S. citizens at this point.  there was a comment posted by someone called leovisa on the previous post who works at http://www.cn-visa.com, and they seem to have the best information, the best deals, and  I suggest you call and as for leovisa (please mention All Roads sent you).

that is all for now. As far as we can tell, this is Olympic related, and it you think about it.. there is some sense to this, but where I think the real problem will be is in the Expat familes…  Dad/ Mom have work permit, trailing spouse + kids don’t…

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to “If You Hold an F Visa. PAY ATTENTION”

  1. Ningbonese says:

    March 8th, 2008 at 3:10 pm

    I thought they didn’t give out 1-year F visas any more? That’s what they told me in Hong Kong as well as the consulate in Houston. I could only get 6 months (which expires in June – yikes).

  2. Rich says:

    March 8th, 2008 at 7:33 pm


    before the U.S. changed their policy, it was possible to get, and I know a few people have found a way to get one since…

    to the best of my ability to tell from the conversations, the best thing to do is get an extension of your current visa for as long as you can… then get to HK and pick up a new tourist visa. China is not shutting down visa, but I think they are using this as an opportunity to clean the long term tourists out.

    who knows.. maybe they are just wanting to make sure you get your commemorative stamp!

    Good luck, and let me know how it goes

  3. JT says:

    March 9th, 2008 at 9:56 am

    I’m American, currently in the Mainland on an F-visa. I went down to HK this past week to try and get a new, longer F-visa and was told that F-visas of up to one year are available, but that the maximum length of stay (amount of time you can remain-in-country after each entry) is 30 days. They were singularly unimpressed by the copy of the PRC Embassy in Washington DC’s visa policies that I brought along. I decided to keep my current F-visa which has longer length of stay.

    I think the earlier post regarding visa prices is inaccurate, at least as to HK, where all visas cost 1120HKD or so, regardless of duration.

  4. Rich says:

    March 9th, 2008 at 5:52 pm

    Hi JT,

    Thanks. I should qualify my post above by saying that these were conversations about China based visa consultants. HK has always been the easiest place to get visas, and if they are still handing out 1 year visas down there, then I guess there are options (even if it requires a trip out every 30 days).


  5. Chris Devonshire-Ellis says:

    March 9th, 2008 at 8:43 pm

    So long then for China’s oft stated policy of “Reciprocal Treatment” of visa issuance and costs thereof in accordance with how other countries treat Chinese nationals.

  6. Vivian says:

    March 13th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

    If you can provide offcial documents showing your business plan and business schedule in next couple months, it is possible to achieve a six month F visa (even over 6 months) with multi-entrences. Here the “business” and “companies” mean business affair between the company in foreign country and the company in China. Both two companies need to provide company license, offcial business invitation letter….bla bla.
    But if you were found working in China with F visa by PSB, you and your company may get trouble.
    That’s all I know from my working experience.
    Good Luck.


  7. David D. says:

    June 20th, 2008 at 6:43 am

    In April, in order to renew some documentation to get a new Z visa, I applied for and I received a 1 year F visa with 60 days per visit from the Houston Embassy. My son got a 1 year tourist visa with 30 days per visit at the same time. No problems, 24 hour turn around. We’ve gone in and out of HK at least 20 times in the last 2.5 months–nary an issue.