Breaking News: You Can’t go to HK Anymore for Chinese Visas

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 20:24
Posted in category Uncategorized

Just received this link from our old friend Jay Boyle as a follow up to my earlier posts If You Hold an F Visa. PAY ATTENTION and Chinese F Visas Cannot Be Renewed Past Olympics.

this is a topic that recently got some coverage on Shanghaiist and a couple others who reported that an agency posted:

We are informed by the China visa office that effective from 15 Apr 2008 there will be no more multi entry (F) visas available. For those who still need visas can only apply single or double entry visas instead (Duration of each stay is 30 days). All this will stay in place until 17 Oct 2008.

but where THIS LINK holds some information that should scare the Sh*t out of anyone who is in China, on a tourist or other temporary visa… and wants to extend it.

and I quote:

If you don’t reside or work in Hong Kong permanently, you are required to apply Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples’ Republic of China in your resident country.

i.e. Don’t come to HK looking for a visa to China unless you are a resident of HK

If anyone out there has recently made the trip to HK, please let me know if this is being enforced, applies to all visas, if the visa consultants are still able to help, or if “residency”can be loosely applied to the fact that you are staying in a hotel while the visa is processed.

UPDATE – Readers can also check out The China Visa Blog for more.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

9 Responses to “Breaking News: You Can’t go to HK Anymore for Chinese Visas”

  1. Levin says:

    April 15th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

    This is great. This will reduce the tourist traffic of Hong Kong by 50%.

  2. Jeremy says:

    April 15th, 2008 at 10:51 pm

    This is great? What about the countless ‘exporters’ and others in China on business visas? We all basically have to leave. Nice kick in the pants to those who have spent years in China doing business on a small scale.

    If this is true, I have no choice but to get another job NOW in mainland China, or go home – as officially I am doing business in China and not holding employment here.

  3. Henry says:

    April 16th, 2008 at 12:36 am


    Just had a friend go to HK to get a visa and he said it should happen. I’ll find out details and post as soon as possible.

  4. Rich says:

    April 16th, 2008 at 3:58 am


    I understand, but technically (unless you are spending less than 180 days in country), you have been on the wrong sign of the line for a long time.


    Look forward to hearing your friend’s experience

  5. Rich says:

    April 16th, 2008 at 3:59 am

    A Quick note for readers that I just received:

    We also hear anecdotal evidence that the police are starting to increase checks on foreigners – one British national in Shanghai was stopped outside his apartment on 17 April by police and asked for his passport and pink PSB registration paper. It is maybe now wise to carry these with you at all times, and to remember to register with the PSB every time you come into China

  6. Rich says:

    April 16th, 2008 at 4:02 am

    Second quick note on a loophole I was considering

    If anyone has a HK based shelf company, you are required to have company secretary, and my hypothesis is that people will be able to use that address.

    anyone know?


  7. Henry says:

    April 17th, 2008 at 9:10 am

    Update from my friend.

    Basically, guy got new job and had to get a new Z visa.

    German guy. Went from SZ to HK 4-16-08. Submitted paperwork for a Z visa at China Consulate. All paperwork was prepared his new employer in China. Did it himself, no visa agency. Approved by China Consulate, said to pick it up next day, 4-17. He picked it up afternoon of 17th.

    He said he thought people who were having trouble were trying for L or F visas. He even said maybe it depended on where people were from but only a guess, as he had no proof…

  8. aodili says:

    April 17th, 2008 at 8:47 pm


    “loophole HK company”

    Incorporating a company in HK needs (beside other things):

    – Registered address in Hong Kong
    – One Company Secretary and should either be Hong Kong resident or Hong Kong limited company

    As long you do not have an (operational) office address in HK and so live in HK (or entitled to) you are just a “visitor” when coming to HK for e.g. collecting your mail at your CS/virtual office service company or attending a fair.

    Conclusion, a HK incorporated company has no advantage in current situation as long you are not running a “real” company with office in HK.
    A registered address automatically does not mean that you have an (operational) office in HK!

    Jeremys situation is a “normal” situation for those doing business or just living in China based on F-Visas “bought” in HK. It was something typically for HK and business base for a lot of HK companies, mainly travel agents. But it was at no time something officially. And so your comment to Jeremys posts is what is fact and everybody living/working based on this has to face.

    I have a strong feeling that maybe not all restrictions will be lifted after Olympic Games, even some travel agencies are stating it. m2


  9. J says:

    May 5th, 2008 at 7:01 pm

    I was in Hong Kong the week of the 17th which was after this post. I went in to obtain a tourist VISA. The restrictions that they were enforcing then was that you had to show them proof of your hotel and return ticket. I showed them proof of my residency there my partner lives in China and we just had our baby in China. So that was my proof. They gave me my VISA the next day. Though they could only give me a 30 day tourist. Of course this was last month and I am not sure what they are enforcing now as they never answer their phone with a live person and I have yet to receive an email response. If anyone has recently been and had success please let me know.