Think Macau is the Next Chinese Visa Haven? Think Again…

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:30
Posted in category The Big Picture

First, let me say I love Skype. It is so convenient, and since my last post I have received a few messages from people updating me on their current visa experiences.

One of those from Nrupesh (a long time resident of China) said this:

I was in macau on Monday to get my work visa and there were LOADS of laowais there trying to get visa’s for china… the maximum they were giving were 7 days visas or you would have to go to Chinese embassy in your own country… and they had put up a notice saying that since yesterday , 15th april, even Z visa’s are stopped from macau and HK!!

and …

they rejected a few people even for Z visas right in front of me

But more interesting is that for those who are in their resident country, and are going to the embassy to apply for visas, here is the reaction in India:

Just heard from Chinese embassy in India, New Delhi, a mate of mine went there today and they said that the only way they can give F visa ( only 1 month ) is if the inviting Chinese company gets a stamped invitation from provincial foreign affairs office and sends them the original

and as a wrap, he writes:

Right now it stands like this ( As far as I know since a LOT of my friends have tried all the options before they leave in 2 weeks ) … if you are on a work visa for a foreign company representative office in china, then they will only renew for 3 months. If you are working with a Chinese company then you can get it renewed without any problems. If you have any other visas then no more extensions in China, maybe in some big cites for a month but they might need good convincing

So, for anyone who is in the process of renewing visas, or are having their visas come due, I really suggest that you get on the ball now and figure out your options. If you are working for a firm that can put you up in HK for a while, that might be the best option if you cannot get the visa sorted out.

There is no telling how long this may last, but Oct 18, 2008 is the only date that we have seen so far… so consider that as a worst case for now.

Thanks Nrupesh for all the on the ground reporting!

Tomorrow I will look around and get the links to the relevant websites. I am not sure much is available, but I’ll find what I can.

If anyone makes their way to the HK/ Macau station, please take a picture of the signs for me and send them over (Reward: beer). It would be great to have that to post!

9 Responses to “Think Macau is the Next Chinese Visa Haven? Think Again…”

1. John Guise says:

April 16th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Hi Rich

Thanks for being on top of this issue. It’s becoming a real headache for business here.

I also heard that there is a China Visa blog which seems to be covering the HK visa battle as well. The URL is http://thechinavisa.blogspot.com/. I’m not sure how informative it is as it seems to be a garment trader documenting his visa issues, but might be worth a look.

J.

April 17th, 2008 at 12:36 am

John.

it is the talk of town! just glad I have people feeding me their experiences to share with everyone.

3. Henry says:

April 17th, 2008 at 9:12 am

Posting the same info here as on the HK visa update.

Update from my friend.

Basically, guy got new job and had to get a new Z visa.

German guy. Went from SZ to HK 4-16-08. Submitted paperwork for a Z visa at China Consulate. All paperwork was prepared his new employer in China. Did it himself, no visa agency. Approved by China Consulate, said to pick it up next day, 4-17. He picked it up afternoon of 17th.

He said he thought people who were having trouble were trying for L or F visas. He even said maybe it depended on where people were from but only a guess, as he had no proof…

4. Chris Devonshire-Ellis says:

April 18th, 2008 at 1:14 am

There’s also just been a ruling in Hong Kong that directly challenges Beijings immigration authority over the territory. Hong Kong passport holders now do not have to declare their country of birth as part of any required passport information. There have been cases at immigration in mainland China of naturalised HK citizens born say in Pakistan, India or elsewhere buy now carrying HK passports being discriminated against when trying to enter China, and in some cases, Hong Kong itself. Now that information is not required to be displayed. The HK immigration dept is considering an appeal.

5. Flood says:

June 16th, 2008 at 4:31 am

From Shanghai, we went to Guangzhou then moved to Macau to renew the Visa. It was a wrong move! We should went back to PSB in Shanghai to renew for a second and last time inside China.

We went to CTS on june 9, 2008 and we got 7 days visa. But we were “lucky”… some got only 3 days!

Now we are in Shanghai and we went directly to PSB to extend the visa and they answered that they can only give us 7 or 10 days because the current visa is 7 days!

The only thing I am mad… is that nobody can explain why! Ho well I think we will go back Canada sooner than I though and come back China after the Olympics! 🙂

6. eyecandy says:

July 23rd, 2008 at 6:54 am

I’ve just been notified that my Z visa – or rather my expert card is not renewed… and my current visa expires July 31st, that is in one week… I’m in dire straits. It will eventually be renewed, but the bureau is fucking up right now. I’m going to be employed by a university in Beijing, that is absolutely sure. Can anyone give me advice? I heard one cannot get a L (tourist) visa in between 2 consecutive Z visas. Is it still possible to get something done from Macau or Hong kong, even if it means that I have to get a L before another Z? There are so many contradictory sources, and the regulations seem to change every so often…
    Thanks for your advice and comments.

[email protected]

7. china visa says:

September 24th, 2008 at 9:12 pm

i need a visa on indian passport from macau any kind whether L OR F, Z
    Presently i always had been on L visa from hong kong but in the last 4 months availed from india but its too expensive to travell to india and then buy the return ticket with in 30 days which expires.

could you help me in getting the china visa as a fresh start from maccau china consulate for the ,max. period you can get with single/double/multi entry visa no problem.

but i need to go back as have the rented apt. and all things are scattered was under the impression would get from hong kong but hong kong is offereing only 3 days which is ridiculous and in human after seeing my past record.

i am a business lady works for the Florida based company in sourcing out various hotel supplies.

looking forward to hear you soon.

regds
    shobha gupta
    mail: [email protected]
    cell: 852-9287-7646

8. Ben Izu says:

October 2nd, 2008 at 4:08 am

Sir/Madam,
    I am a Nigerian who will be travelling to China to start my Masters program. I visited Macau and will like to know what I will present for my student visa application.
    My studies is a scholarship program sponsored by the University where I will study in Beijing China.

Please advise me.

Thanks

Izu Ben

9. john says:

March 3rd, 2010 at 10:27 pm

i’m a nigerian in india!i have a valid indian visa!do i need a visa to macau or will i get a 30 day visa on arrival at macau airport after paying 100 macau dollars