Want a Chinese F Visa? Here is How to Get it… If You are a UK Citizen

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:10
Posted in category The Big Picture

Just received the below in an email. Comes from British Chamber of Commerce, and if true, then it looks like I was right… going forward it is going to be much more difficult to get F visas.

Visa Situation Update
The British Embassy lobbied the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Beijing and have now secured confirmation from them that 12 month multiple-entry business visas will continue to be available to all qualifying UK applicants.

Chinese Embassy websites now makes clear that the following documents should be supplied:

i) invitation letter issued by the relevant department of Chinese government (e.g. MOFCOM, local Chamber of Commerce) – an invitation from a Chinese company will no longer suffice;
ii) a copy of a Chinese hotel reservation;
iii) a copy of outward and return flight ticket booking (one way ticket will not be sufficient).

Note: The HK Website previously sourced has yet to change, and it appears that non-residents are still unable to get visas in HK.

Note 2: AMCHAM Shanghai will be offering members a chance to learn about the new rules next Tuesday (Given the implications of this, this is coming a bit late…) at the Portman. Details here

Note 3: I am hearing more and more stories of people being stopped and asked for credentials. If you are not carrying them, they will be happy to follow you home to get them. So, best pack your passport for the next few months

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

One Response to “Want a Chinese F Visa? Here is How to Get it… If You are a UK Citizen”

  1. Micah Sittig says:

    April 23rd, 2008 at 5:09 pm

    Re Note 2: AMCHAM members only.

    Re Note 3: On the one hand it’s annoying and inconvenient to have to remember to carry a passport around all the time, but on the other hand it feels great to realize that China is changing from a third-world country where visas are cheap and plentiful into a world power that takes responsibility for its foreign residents and requires people to follow the rules. Major change there.