Take the Torch to Wenchuan

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:37

This Afternoon I read a piece saying that the earthquake would not affect the current path of the torch on its way from Sichuan to Chongqing, and I came up with an idea.

今天下午我读到一篇报道,内容是:奥运火炬在四川的路线不会因为这次地震而改变。这条报道引发了我的另一个想法。

If the torch represents hope and the spirit of teamwork, why shouldn’t the path of the torch be changed. Why shouldn’t the torch be taken to Wenchuan where it appears the most damage has been done, and be left there as a sign that China (the world) is focused on Wenchuan and the affected areas.

如果奥运火炬象征着希望和团队精神,那为什么不改变奥运圣火的传递路线呢?为什么不将奥运圣火传递到汶川这个受灾最重的地方,并让圣火留在汶川以显示中国,甚至整个世界都在关注着汶川和其他的受灾地区。

So, with this in mind, I am hoping that Olympic sponsors (particularly those who have torch bearers in Sichuan) to call BOCOG and see what can be done.

所以我希望奥运会的赞助商们,特别是那些将在四川传递火炬的赞助商们,能够号召北京奥组委并关注其是否能作出相关的努力。

In my mind, to simply run through the affected areas without stopping there is not the right thing to do, and perhaps it will be difficult to get the torch there.

But, then again, they just got it to the top of Everest.

我个人认为,只是将奥运火炬在受灾地区传递而不停留的做法是有欠妥当的。目前,将火炬传递到受灾地区可能也是困难的。但是,转念一想,中国不是已经让圣火传递到珠峰顶了吗?

10 Responses to “Take the Torch to Wenchuan”

1. Greg says:

May 13th, 2008 at 5:54 am

This is a good idea. We’ll see if that will come to life.

2. oldsimple says:

May 13th, 2008 at 6:43 am

Thats a very nice an practicable idea! China, just do so!

3. Levin says:

May 13th, 2008 at 7:10 am

There is one problem at this time: There is no road to Wenchuan until they are fixed.

4. Wilson Lee says:

May 13th, 2008 at 7:49 pm

I support your brilliant and inspiring idea, hope you can write thje Olympic organizers. I’m 7th generation overseas Chinese and I’m very concerned both about the importance of the historic Olympics and about the sad earthquake tragedy.

5. Michael Netzley says:

May 13th, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Wouldn’t it be a minor miracle to see the very people who protested so much in the West to put their money where their mouth is, follow the torch to Wenchuan, and do something constructive?

Great idea you have.

6. Marg Hambleton says:

May 16th, 2008 at 5:39 pm

A fine gesture – however; what a frenzy there would be – I have keenly followed the touchs travels yes, it is a symbol of hope. But I just feel it is a time to let the government and the aid agencies get on with the job of rescuing the injured, setting up shelters, feeding the starving it doesn’t not have to be a circus.

7. 吕健 says:

May 19th, 2008 at 5:24 am

the idea is good ,but how can it realize?

May 19th, 2008 at 5:43 am

Lu Jian,

Thanks. If you want to help realize it, then I suggest telling your friends and using BBS. I am sure it would take off!

9. John says:

May 28th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

i agree with you … the anguish is far more than we can tolerate, why not just let the torch stay in wenchuan for a long time, there should be a “flag” which can encourage them…

10. Weekly Roundup: The earthquake says:

November 9th, 2008 at 6:04 am

[…] All Roads Lead to China: Take the Torch to Wenchuan . I don’t know how possible this is, but it’s a great image. The torch left burning at Wenchuan to help bring attention, friendship, donations and love to the affected area. […]