How am I doing?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:02

Taking a 2 week break after nearly 2 years of posting I must admit was therapeutic, but more than that, it gave me a chance to take a bit of stock on just how much content had been published… and before I get back to writing, I wanted to see first how I have been doing.

Sometimes I break the story, as in I have a breaking story, while at other times I break the stroy, as in I really break it with poor grammar and spelling.

To ensure that I continue do accomplish that (let’s assume I historically have for a moment), I need some feedback on the following questions:

1. Why do you come to All Roads?
  2. Where are the areas that you feel All Roads can be improved?
  3. Is there an issue of focus that you would like to see more / less content on?
  4. Would you prefer a more analytical writing style or more personal?
  5. Which of the following would you like to see:
  • Executive interviews
  • Regulatory announcements & analysis
  • Event/ conference Announcement or writeups
  • Reader Polls

Any and all comments or emails will be greatly appreciated.

6 Responses to “How am I doing?”

1. Mike says:

June 11th, 2009 at 7:51 am

1. The first thing that drew me into this site was the general business advice/info but I now hang around because most of the stuff is quite interesting.
    2. I think that the other two sites should come back under the “all roads… ” umbrella.
    3. I was recently getting fed up with you banging on about Chengdu but I’m now doing some business in the city so even that is quite useful.
    4. Both
    5. Interviews, announcements and analysis might be good. Conferences are boring. Polls suck.

2. David says:

June 11th, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Why do you come to All Roads? I started coming to this blog to keep up with China business trends (with a bias toward logistics) that are not covered in the MSM, and to tap the great list of other solid China-related blogs. I visit a few times per week to see what’s on Rich’s mind — or not.
    Where are the areas that you feel All Roads can be improved? agree with prior comment about better integration of all content. Use spell check more and leave misteaks to commenters like me. More case studies supporting some of your points of view.
    Is there an issue of focus that you would like to see more / less content on? Given the scale of the Chinese stimulus program, it would be great to see more on that. Particularly how it impacts foreign owned companies. Again, case studies would be good. Also, you might go back through some of your more important old posts and provide an update regarding the topic. How did it pan out? What does this mean? Why?
    What is the Chengdu connection?
    Would you prefer a more analytical writing style or more personal?
    Which of the following would you like to see:
    Executive interviews Good
    Regulatory announcements & analysis Good
    Event/ conference Announcement or writeups Good for people who can’t always make China conferences.
    Reader Polls No value.

3. Zhou Ji-Ming says:

June 11th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

1. Because you hit on what I find interesting about 70% of the time.

2. Tags section on the left is a little busy…..ditch the twitter link. we can’t even use it now and every time I see that space-holder it reminds me of it….and that fact that I can’t even get to my high school social networking site anymore….aghhhh!

3. Please don’t go too macro on us. Other economists do that and it’s just not suitable for this blog, which I think prides itself on focusing on analysis of more focused issues / developments.

4. Your writing style is fine for me.

5. Write ups / summary of events / activities could be useful……

zhou

June 14th, 2009 at 4:50 am

Mike, David, and Zhou – thanks for the comments, suggestions, and reminders.

I promise to do my bets to spell check and use proper grammar going forward. Of course, sometime spell check deceives me when the word I right is actually spelled wright, but just used in the incorrect context.

With regard to the content, Chengdu and otherwise, it tends to follow what I am looking at for clients & interest. Chengdu has long been a place that I have been interested in professionally/ personally, and I at one point was working with several cities to publish their content. Chengdu is the only one that remains.

Either way, I hear you all on the polls – I’ll drop that module, but Zhou… you need to get on twitter. Everyone is doing it!

Thanks again.

5. Zhou Ji-Ming says:

June 15th, 2009 at 3:09 am

I’m on….

6. Dan says:

June 23rd, 2009 at 5:02 am

Why do you come to All Roads?
    Interesting content. There’s some real reporting from someone on the ground here.

Where are the areas that you feel All Roads can be improved?
    I think having a more specific focus is helpful. I personally prefer a shorter synopsis, with a break for the details after the fold. This helps me scan lots of articles at once, without having to page through an entire article I’m not interested in.

Is there an issue of focus that you would like to see more / less content on?
    I like macro issues, but I agree with the earlier comment. I think the unique perspective you offer is the on-the-ground view. The economists are a million miles away. You’re here.

Would you prefer a more analytical writing style or more personal?
    I think the style is fine. I also wouldn’t worry that much about the spelling. We know what you mean. Too analytical is actually boring.

Which of the following would you like to see:
    * Executive interviews — yeah
    * Regulatory announcements & analysis – yeah
    * Event/ conference Announcement or writeups – yeah
    * Reader Polls – no. Readers like me don’t know anything.