Sustainability and Responsible Leadership Course Ideas Needed

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:17

CEIBS Sustainability

Starting next week, I will take on a new role. I will be a Visiting Professor teaching a project course on Sustainability and Responsible Leadership at the China Europe International Business School (CEIBS). As a required class for the 200+ MBA students, this will be a one year project based class where students will study an issue of their choice (within the above framework), have a 3 month partnership with a Shanghai based org (profit or non), and then present a socially responsible business case…. a huge opportunity (in my opinion) to develop managerial capacity in a number of areas related to manufacturing, economics, cleantech, and civil society.

Before I take the stage for the first time though, I would like to invite comments from All Roads readers on the topic/ subtopic list that I have created (see above). If you have some suggestions as to topics, or potentially have a project in mind, feel free to leave a comment or send an email.

7 Responses to “Sustainability and Responsible Leadership Course Ideas Needed”

1. gregorylent says:

August 19th, 2009 at 9:34 am

there is nothing human in any of those lists .. all intellectual academic categories and new-paradigm povs will not arise from the boxes you start with ..

leadership .. what about ego studies, love/empathy/nurturing/service studies?

sustainability .. what is actually at the basis of sustainablity? reverence, respect, relationship, recognition of oneness …

what about the value of traditional (pre-mao) chinese spiritual teachings .. there are very real principles that china still knows that has resulted in them having all the money and america in debt ..

who really knows about sustainability in this world? agrarian cultures ..

i could go on. and on ..

2. admin says:

August 19th, 2009 at 9:57 am

Hi Greg.

Thanks…. and please go on and on.

One subtopic that I have included, which I believe is “human”, is cultural preservation. Also, it should be mentioned that as part of their research and practicum, they will be required to create a stakeholder map that looks at the human side of these issues.

So, if you can help frame up your ideas into something I can present, then I am happy to include it.

Thanks

3. Clement Wan says:

August 19th, 2009 at 10:20 am

I would emphasize insofar as implementation goes, to be technology agnostic – especially under the topic of clean technologies. I’m not sure how familiar you are with LNG/Shale Gas technologies, but I think we’re on the verge of a major transition given how much we’re finding of this stuff practically everywhere. It’s believed that natural gas is abundant everywhere including China and India (based on the geology) and they’re just scratching the surface so far.

It sounds incredible but if you track the reserves for North America, they thought just a few years ago that stocks were declining and were looking to develop LNG ports to import the stuff but now they’re spending hundreds of millions to upgrade ports for export. This has massive implications everywhere given how much more clean burning natural gas is. Here’s a relatively long video that I’m not sure you can get from China but it provides an overview: http://fora.tv/2009/02/24/Robert_Hefner_The_Grand_Energy_Transition

It’s the reason why natural gas prices are so low and may stay that way relative to oil – so there’s a solid economic case for it versus some of these other technologies. Indeed, I suspect that it will push other technologies onto the backburner…

As for other aspects, I agree with Greg that the biggest impact to productivity and quality of life that students can impact will be in the people management and how they will differ from one industry to another and understanding quite specifically the cost-benefit tradeoffs that they make.

Clement

4. Steve says:

August 24th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

How about occupational health and safety? China has, on the books, good rules but they are not particularly well applied, recognized or appreciated.

5. admin says:

August 24th, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Steve.

Thanks. I defiantly missed that one!

Rich

6. James says:

August 25th, 2009 at 12:47 am

Economics and Finance should be two categories – especially if the project will be in Shanghai – which is the 2020 world financial capital – how about for Finance – banking, insurance, non-banking services, exchanges, commodities..

7. admin says:

August 25th, 2009 at 8:34 am

Hi James.

I put finance under economics purely as a matter of ease for me, but I agree that they are separate topics.

With regards to sustainability and responsible leadership, are there suggested topics that you would have for either category?

Thanks